FALL 2023 APPLICATION IS NOW OPEN!
Debutante Cotillion & Scholarship Program
2023- 2024 Application Period:
June 30, 2023 – August 18, 2023
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a Debutante?
A: A Debutante, also called a deb, is a young lady who has been prepared in the social graces, community service oriented, and trained to dance formally. She is then presented to her community in a formal presentation, which is her first public appearance into society.
Q: Who may be a Debutante?
A: A Debutante of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.® Upsilon Alpha Omega is a rising junior or senior in high school who meets the following requirements:
- A young lady who exemplifies high moral character
- A young lady with high academic excellence
- A young lady of good reputation in her community
- A young lady with poise and charm
- A young lady graced with an attractive personality
- A young lady who believes in service to her community.
Q: What is the Debutante Cotillion and Scholarship Program?
A: The Debutante Cotillion and Scholarship Program primary goal is to provide life skills training as well as post-secondary preparation for young ladies who are juniors and seniors in high school. The program objectives are achieved through six months of personal development, educational workshops, leadership activities, cultural and community service activities, fundraising efforts, rehearsals, raise scholarship funds for college, and bonding activities that positively reinforce critical self-esteem principals that will enhance their lives. The culminating event of the program is the Debutante Cotillion and Scholarship Ball in which the young ladies are formally presented to society and the Gwinnett community as well as awarded scholarships.
Q: What are the program application requirements?
A: In order to be considered for the Debutante Cotillion and Scholarship Program, applicants must:
- Be a rising high school junior or senior during the 2023-2024 school year.
- Have a minimum of a 2.75 (C+) cumulative grade point average, which must be verified by an official transcript from the high school. Transcript must be submitted as a part of the application process.
- Must exhibit high moral and ethical standards.
- Must be unmarried not expecting and have no children.
- Must select a reliable young male escort (ages 16-19) and an adult male escort (father or father-figure for the cotillion ball)
- Be willing to commit time and effort to participate in the Debutante Cotillion Program activities and events.
- Have fully completed the on-line application (including essay, recommendation letter, $25 non-refundable application fee, and submission of transcript) on or before Friday, August 18, 2023. The online application will be available on June 30, 2023.
- Participate in an interview. Interviews will be scheduled after the online application due date and all supporting materials are received.
Q: What are the Participation Guidelines?
- Participate in planned workshops, activities, and events.
- All Debutantes and their parents/guardians are expected to adhere to all procedures outlined in the Debutante Cotillion Handbook.
- Adhere to financial and participation guidelines outlined in the Debutante Cotillion handbook.
- Actively raise funds for the Debutante Cotillion Program for post-secondary scholarship funds.
- Participate in all Debutante Cotillion Ball Rehearsals (mandatory).
Q: Will there be an Informational Meeting?
A: Yes, the Informational Meeting will be held on Sunday, August 6, 2023 at 2:00 p.m. where the program will be explained further.
Q: When does the program start and end?
A: The program will begin in September and culminate in March with the formal event of the Debutante Cotillion & Scholarship Ball.
Q: What are the requirements for the sub-debutantes (Ladies in Waiting)?
- Be a rising high school freshman or sophomore during the 2023-2024 school year
- Must exhibit high moral and ethical standards
- Participate in planned workshops, activities, and events.
Q: Where can I get more information?
A: You can email us any questions you may have at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The electronic application will be available beginning
June 30, 2023 and must be submitted by August 18, 2023.
2022 Miss Debutante and Court
Debutante Cotillion and Scholarship Program
The Debutante Cotillion and Scholarship Ball is inarguably the premier event for high school junior and senior girls in the Metro Atlanta area. The Scholarship Ball is the culmination of an array of social, cultural, educational, and service-related activities. This program was designed to holistically enhance the lives of participating young women in the 11th and 12th grades. The debutantes participate in six to eight months of educational workshops, service projects, and bonding activities that positively reinforce critical self-esteem principles that will last a lifetime.
The program provides opportunities for the debutantes to earn scholarships for higher education. The Debutante Cotillion Scholarship Program has awarded thousands of dollars in scholarships.
We are excited to include a Sub-Debutante Cotillion Program for high school freshman and sophomore girls. The Sub-Debutante program consists of community service projects, cultural activities, educational workshops, and monthly meetings that culminate into an elegant Debutante Cotillion Ball.
If you have any additional questions regarding this program, please email us at email@example.com.
Upsilon Alpha Omega chapter’s 2022 Debutante and Scholarship program concluded with the premier event “A Prelude to A Vision Fair” Cotillion and Scholarship Ball, which was held on March 19, 2022, at Gas South in Duluth, Georgia. Attendees witnessed the presentation of 33 beautiful debutantes, their handsome escorts, and 20 beautiful sub-debutantes.
Congratulations to Miss Rian Thompkins, who was crowned 2022 Miss Debutante, and to her court, First Runner-Up, Miss Ashton Maxwell, and Second Runner-up, Miss Kayden Skeete.
Thank you for supporting our Debutantes.