Target 1: HBCU for Life: A Call to Action
Alpha Kappa Alpha will continue its focus on education with an emphasis on historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs).
• Chapters will promote and market historically black colleges and universities and encourage students to attend HBCUs as a sustainability measure. Activities will include researching and publishing information regarding prominent Alpha Kappa Alpha women and other notable individuals who attended HBCUs.
• Recognizing that HBCU funding is one of the primary obstacles that threaten the long-term growth and survival of HBCUs, members will be encouraged to financially support HBCUs. Alpha Kappa Alpha will implement an AKA HBCU Endowment Initiative in partnership with EAF, in which an endowed scholarship will be established at each accredited four-year HBCU. The goal is to stamp the Alpha Kappa Alpha brand of financial support on each HBCU campus to help students remain in school, complete their course of study, and receive their college degrees.
To date, UAO has donated over $15,000 to several HBCU initiatives. UAO supports Alpha Kappa Alpha’s Think HBCU For Life International Target through:
- Donation and Fundraising Events
- Alumni Association Memberships
- Atlanta Alumni Association Run/Walk
- Various HBCU Scholarship Events
- Cards and Cocktails
- Pancake Breakfas
- HBCU Fun Walk